Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

About n400. Biometric has been taken. Thank you :) Is this…

Biometric has been taken...

Biometric has been taken. Thank you :)

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

Nope

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this free consultation?

Lawyer's Assistant: JustAnswer requires a modest payment. You'll see the amount on the next page. It's way less expensive than face-to-face would cost. And you're covered by our 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Okay

3/22/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. What are your N-400 questions?

I am waiting for the Interview right now. However I am going to study aboard for four year in August. I am wonder what should I do. the process seems slow right now.
We dont have to talk over the phone. you can reply me here?

Sure, no problem. That is the website that offers you the call. I can answer you here. When did you submit your application and in what city do you live?

The notice of acceptance is November 2nd, 2017. The UCSIC office is Milwaukee WI.

Well, there is nothing to prevent you from going to study abroad in August. It is not illegal to do that while your N-400 is pending. You will likely be called for the interview while you are away and you must return for the interview. You should have someone check your mail in the US and let you know when the interview notice arrives. Once you go, you do have to let the officer know the time you have been outside the US. Just make sure you do not stay outside the US for more than 6 months until you become a citizen.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

I can make sure I come back for the interview and oath if that really takes that long. 6 months in one trip or more than 6 months in total before the interview?
will my application get declined just because I was aboard for ~5 months? the estimation for my application is 13 months. Is that really taking that long? I have some friends saying it always takes shorter than it said.
Thank you so much for your reply.

6 months in one trip. No, it would not get declined just because you are out about 5 months as long as you had enough time inside the US when you submitted the N-400.

It used to take less but yes it is taking about a year. You will likely have to come back around November December and you will only have been out 3-5 months. It should not be an issue.

Hope this helps and that you can kindly leave a good rating for the consult. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your reply. Will you recommend applying for a re entry permit at all for this case?

Not really. You should be back in the US and hopefully a citizen within 6 months of leaving the US.

If not becoming a citizen in 6 months of leaving the US, worst case will be I am going back and forth between US and the study country? Is that okay I come back in three months, then stay a week, then leave for however long until the interview notice? Thank you so much again!

Yes, that is fine if you do that a few times. However you should not have to. You should have the interview by November/December.

I hope this has clarified your doubts and that you can be so kind as to leave a rating for our consult and time on the website. Thanks in advance.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney