Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife has the conditional permanent card. We had some

My wife has the conditional...
My wife has the conditional permanent green card. We had some problems. I filed for divorce. But, we only separated a short time, and made up. It is approaching the time for her to file for the 10 year permanent card. I never served her or told her about the filing bc I wasnt sure what to do. Can this effect her application for waiver of conditions if I never served her or followed thru?
3/22/2018
Nisha Jones

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

No, this should not affect her in your petition to remove conditions.

The US immigration officers are interested in ensuring that you have a bona fide marriage.

Sometimes there are ups and down in a marriage, that's fine and does not hold immigration consequences, their main concern in just ensuring this is a genuine marriage, not a sham marriage entered into for immigration purposes only.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Ok that is great news Also, originally i wanted divorce bc of her temper. I never told bout filing bc i was afraid she would blow up on me. Will INS ask us about the filing IF I NEVER SERVED MY WIFE

No, it should not come up as an issue.

But you should be prepared to answer questions just in case it does.

Nothing is wrong with the fact that you contemplated ending the relationship or filing for divorce -- that does not mean that your marriage is a sham marriage.

Just be honest and explain to the immigration officer that you two were experiencing some turmoil in your relationship and it was a rash decision you made, but ultimately you two resolved your issues and stayed together.

This is not something that should cause any problems with approval of her petition.

Just be prepared to answer the questions, in case it comes up.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

that means atsome point i would have to tell her before we have the meeting. Im very afraid of that.

Unfortunately yes, it may be unavoidable at this point.

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you with this!

Please remember to click 'Finish' and leave a positive rating so that I can be credited for my help with your question. 5 stars are always appreciated, thanks!

Nisha Jones