Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

It is a complication that I would like to know the best way…

Hi! It is a...

Hi! It is a complication that I would like to know the best way to move forward I am currently on a J1 Visa with a 2 year return home rule, but I have not been here for a year and had to resign my job. So the visa will be cancelled and the agency told me I have 30-45 days left in the US.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Options:

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the J-1 visa?

1. Change my status from J1 to my regular B1/B2 Visa and spend some time with my family here no I havent

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's why I was trying to explain because there is an approved I130 existing so I was wondering if I do an adjustment of status

3/22/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Thank you!

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You cannot change status to any other nonimmigrant visa status inside the US if 212e homerule applies.

If you have an approved I-130 you cannot file for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status without applying for the waiver.

It does not matter if you are been in the US for one day or one year on the J1. If the 2 year rule applies you must fulfill it or get a waiver.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/study/exchange/waiver-of-the-exchange-visitor.html

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you! So since the agency is going to cancel the visa in a few days. The best thing is to apply for the waiver? But what happens to the J1 if I request the waiver and how do I proceed after that?

When you accepted the answer it closed the question and I was not given any notice of your follow-up question.

I am happy to answer your follow-up questions if the site notifies me.

Did you want to continue or do you prefer to keep the refund?

Judith