Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My i20 expired 2 months ago. My husband was detained because…

My i20 expired 2...

My i20 expired 2 months ago

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

My husband was detained because is i20 expired

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

I just don't understand
I have the copy of the passaport and still valid
Just the m1 is not valid it's been two months
3/22/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

It was your I-20 that expired or your spouse's I-20? And why did it expire?

We New it was going to expired this year. We didn't realize it was in January. He even did a test on Sunday
Can they detained him, because an i20

Yes, he can be detained and deported, but realistically, unless he commits a serious enough crime, not one is going to bother him to deport him. He needs to go speak immediately to the Designated School Officer (DSO) about getting a new I-20 or asking for reinstatement if he has fallen out of status. Here is a link to that"

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/FR/HTML/FR/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-79324/0-0-0-85465/0-0-0-87514/0-0-0-87971.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

We. Really forgot

Ok, but the way to resolve it is to speak to the DSO at the school. If they are not willing to help, then he may have to transfer to another school that is willing to help.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

But what can they do? Or will do

As I said, unless he commits a serious enough crime, no one is going to come knocking on his door to deport him. So relax and tomorrow have him go speak to the DSO.

No there's is no crime!! Ok, So tommorrow I will go to the homeland security and see. I hope everything it will be fine and he can come home.

No. Go to the DSO at the school. PLEASE do not forget the positive rating for me by clicking on 5 stars. Thank you!

I think you didn't understand... the homeland come here to my house and took him. He called me from there and told me he got detained because is i20 expired.
you are telling me to not worry and go to a school. Sao. To get a new i20
In most cases he will be release and he will need to apply for a new i20

Either way, that is the way to fix it unless he is going to file for Asylum or something. The DSO is the one that can fix it.

If the school doesn't want to help him and we want to go home in 4 weeks before the i20 experied

He can either try to transfer to another school that will want to help him or he can ask for voluntary departure if he is otherwise eligible for it.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Visa expires

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

I got the I20 from the other school. Now i need an atorney in Florida.
Because they don't tell me nothing..
Can you refer me one

You can look for one at www.ailalawyer.com.