Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How much does your time cost me? I only have one simple

Customer Question
How much does your...

How much does your time cost me?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Immigration Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

I only have one simple question.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I want to invite a friend to the US . I am willing to write the invitation letter ;however, can not pay his funds for the trip. He assures me that he will cover all cost. What should I do to make sure that this doesn’t come back on me? Wha should I state in the letter? What should he do on his part?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Just you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, should I have anything you think I should add?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/21/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: You can provide an invitation letter without taking on legal financial responsibility for your friend.

In your letter, you state the purpose of the visit, what you will do while he is here, if you are providing room and board, say so, and explain that you will ensure that he will depart the US before his authorized stay expires. It is very simple.

As far as what he has to do, if he is not from a Visa Waiver country, then he needs to apply for a visitor visa (B2). He does that online using the DS-160. He will need to provide evidence that he has stronger ties to his home country than to the US in order to satisfy the officer that he will return to his home country.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer