Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Citizen living outside the US. Intending to move to US. Have…

Customer Question
I am US citizen...

I am US citizen living outside the US. Intending to move to US. Have filed for I-130 for spouse, who is outside US. Stepson (under 21) is currently in US at university on F-1 Visa. Also filing I-130 for him. Do I need to file I-485 concurrently with I-130?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

For spouse, yes. For stepson, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

No. Trying waddle through myself.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, basically, I am ready to file the I-130 for step son. Just need to know if any harm for not including the I-485.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/21/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 4 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

How old was the step-son when you married his parent?

Eight
eight

Ok. Good. There is no harm, per se, in just filing an I-130 for him as long as he does not plan to transfer schools or travel outside of the U.S. until you file the I-485 for him. Why? Because the I-130 doesn't give him any actual immigration benefits like a work permit or travel permit and is evidence of immigrant intent and to use the F-1 status, he needs non-immigrant intent. So as long as he doesn't need to transfer his status or leave the U.S. and come back in using the F-1 visa after you file the I-130, the you should be fine filing just the I-130 for him.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!