Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

FOR GUILLERMO, Guillermo, how are you? I am happy to reach…

FOR GUILLERMO, hi Guillermo...
FOR GUILLERMO, hi Guillermo, how are you? I am happy to reach you for answers. I landed in US 3 weeks ago with an immigration visa. I am now expecting the physical green card mailed to me. How can I know if the card being mailed? Is there a way to track?I provided my attorney’s office address for green card mailing. Now I am still not fully settled. How soon should I update my address with USCIS once I settled? If I update the address with USCIS, does it mean they will mail to my new address instead of mailing to my attorney’s office address?Thank you
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello again. Did you get the stamp in your passport as evidence that you are a Resident?

I got a stamp on my passport with an A number

That is most likely an I-551 stamp which should be good for one year and is evidence of Lawful Permanent Residency that allows you to work and travel. As to how to check the status of production of the green card, there is no way to easily check online if that is what you mean. You can contact USCIS Customer Service number at 1-***-***-**** or go to http://infopass.uscis.gov/ and make an appointment to speak in person with an immigration officer to find out the status.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Ok, usually how long does it take to produce a green card?

A few weeks, but like I said, if you are worried about it, and you shouldn't be, call the Customer Service number or go make an appointment to speak to an immigration officer in person. As far as moving, you should file an AR-11 within 10 days of any move. Could that cause an issue with delivery of your green card? Yes, it can, but it is what it is. The only other option is to stay at the same address until you get the green card.

thank you
one more question, with the stamp on my passport you said it allows me to work and travel. However when I applied my social security card, the receipt says I can use this social security card to work only if I can get authorization from the sept of homeland security. I am not sure if I am allowed to work or not allowed to Wilkes. I am holding a IW-1 visa.

That is normal and that will not be removed from your Social Security card until you become a U.S. Citizen.

I am not allowed to work then?
I can not become a US citizen within 5 years, I can not work for at least 5 years?
This does not make sense.

It means that you have to show your green card along with the Social Security Card in order to prove that you are allowed to work when you apply for a job. After you get U.S. Citizenship, they remove the wording from the Social Security Card so that you only have to show the card to a new employer when you apply for a job.

Oh, if in that case I can understand. Thank you so much. You are super.

No problem.