Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I need to speak to a lawyer about whether it's possible for…

I need to speak...

I need to speak to a lawyer about whether it's possible for my Canadian wife to visit me (a US citizen) in the US while we are waiting for her I-130 to process

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

Yes, but I haven't retained anyone....

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that was my only question

3/21/2018
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question.

OK

Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: It is possible and she is eligible to do so, as long as her intent when she enters the US is not to adjust her status and stay in the US. Logically, the challenge is convincing the officer that she does not have immigrant intent when she has an I-130 on file.

Unfortunately, there is no checklist or specific regulations or laws that she can se as a guide to help her make a convincing argument. But it is important to be able to show strong ties to Canada so satisfy the officer that she does not have immigrant intent/that she has motivation to leave and not remain. To that end, she should have with her evidence of property ownership, strong ties to family and community, evidence of a job she will returning to, etc. Anything that ties her to Canada she should be ready to show an officer who asks for it.

Ultimately, the officer has the discretion to allow her entry or not.

I hope that answers your questions.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please remember to click on 4 or 5 stars (★★★★) on your computer screen. This is important because this is how I get credit for doing my job.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

OK thanks, ***** ***** need to apply for a visitor (B-2) or K-3 visa before attempting to enter the US?

Have you file the I-130 already?

No, but by the time she attempts to enter the US in April, we will have filed the I-130.

OK, give me a moment to answer your last question.

No problem.

Remember that I don't get credit for doing my job if you do not give me a positive rating. Kindly do so by going to the top of this page and clicking on 4 or 5 stars. Thank you!

ANSWER: If the goal is for her to visit, and she is a Canadian national without any immigration violations, then she does not require a B-2 visa.

As for the K-3 visa, is was created to bring families together while the I-130 was taking a very long time to process in the past. These days, the K-3 is taking a long time to process as well, so it is highly unlikely that it will be processed and issued by the time the I-130 is approved. Moreover, there is no way it will be processed by April so she wouldn't be able to use it then anyway.

Please give me credit for doing my job by clicking on those 5 stars. You can still ask follow up questions after you’ve done that.

Thank you!

OK then it's perfectly fine for her to attempt to cross the border into the U.S. with no visa of any kind?
I just want to make sure we don't do anything to jeopardize her I-130 or right to U.S. permanent residency.

Based on what you've told me, she is only coming for a visit. Therefore, she does not require a visa: https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/do-i-need-a-visa/.

I hope that clears things up. Please do not forget that positive rating now. You can still ask follow up question, but rating me now ensures that you do not forget to give me credit for doing my job today. Thank you in advance.

ok thanks, ***** ***** get a transcript of this chat?also, how long is it taking right now to process I-130's and then the subsequent permanent residency?these are my last questions

You'll have to copy/paste the chat contents. There is no way for me to provide that to you from my end. You might check your email as well.

It's taking 4-8 months, depending on where the case is reviewed.

Permanent residency is automatic if she enters the US with her immigrant visa. It takes about another 2 months to complete the immigrant visa process.

Please do not forget that positive rating now. Thank you.

Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer