Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How difficult i will be for me to get a visitor's visa to…

How difficult i will...

How difficult i will be for me to get a visitor's visa to the United States, since i had to surrender my Green Card just over a year ago, because i stayed out of the us for too long a time?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

I filed for a replacement card but i was deem ineligible, although the application was made before i signed to abandoned my status. I never fell so humiliated as i felt Feb. 1, 2017 at liberty international. i am only now able to talk about it without getting emotional

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

No. I stayed out for more than 16 yrs. I was advised to file for a replacement Card. I wanted to help my daughter plan her wedding so i traveled hoping that i could complete to process there. They refuse to land me with the Green Card, wanted me to pay for a visa, gave me six (6) months. The alternative was to go before a judge. Since i was the last person in that holding room, did not eat from morning, tired from jet lag i just signed the document after they agreed to waived the fee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think i would just be satisfied with a visitor's visa. If i could attend my first daughter's wedding, and my other two daughter's graduation, I would be satisfied with that. My children are american citizens. I am 57 yrs old. My three girls are 30, 26, & 23 yrs respectively. I have a sick husband to look after. I do not know that i can go back to the United States to start over again.

3/21/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately after you stay out of the US more than 1 year, your green card is deemed abandoned.

If you take proof that your husband is ill and you are looking after him in your country of citizenship and also bring other proof of ties to your country, job, property ownership etc.and explain that you would like the visa to come for these events then you could still be approved for the visa. Bring proof of the upcoming wedding (invitation) and proof from school of the graduations such as transcripts or graduation invite if it's already coming up.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney