Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Can a US citizen sponsor or invite a friend from another…

Can a US citizen sponsor...
Can a US citizen sponsor or invite a friend from another country to come to the U.S if the U.S citizen has been in jail for less than 4 days and is involved in what's called a pretrial diversion that will eventually be expunged? What are the implications and what can be done?
3/21/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Yes a US can still invite a friend to visit in the US even if they have a criminal record. This has nothing to do with the invitation. The background of the US citizen is not an issue for this and it will not be asked about. It will have nothing to do with the friend visiting the US.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Can you describe the process to secure a visa for a visitor?

The foreigner must first fill out an online form and pay fees and get an appointment for the US embassy or consulate closest to him. https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Then the foreigner attends the interview and takes any supporting documents such as your invitation if you would like to provide one. Then the friend will be approved or denied a visa.

I hope this helps and hope you can kindly issue a good rating.

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney