Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

FOR GUILLERMO I have a question about someone who is married…

FOR GUILLERMOHello. I have a...
FOR GUILLERMOHello. I have a question about someone who is married to a U.S. citizen and came into the U.S. a few days ago on a tourist visa. He has been married for a few years already to the U.S. citizen. He would now like to apply for a green card while remaining in the U.S. They gave him 3 months on the tourist visa when he entered but they asked him why he didn't have a return ticket at the border. But anyway, he wants to apply for a green card while remaining in the U.S. What are your thoughts on this?Thank you.
3/21/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

You already know what can happen even if he waits more than 90 days to file. He could get slapped with a visa fraud charge for having immigrant intent at the Port of Entry and then his spouse would have to file an I-601 waiver. If he wants to be safe, he should leave on time and have his spouse do the CR-1 or IR-1 process for him to come back. I know it is inconvenient, but it is what it is.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!