Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

A friend on line wants me to be a benificuary for his money…

A friend on line...

A friend on line wants me to be a benificuary for his money so he can come into the US?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No nothing yet. I really don’t know this person that well. I read on line if I sincerely ***** ***** someone I am financially responsible for them for 10 yrs. is this true

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This man says he is a soldier and an American citizen. However his language skills tells me he is a foreigner. If he were a US citizen fighting in Afghanistan why could he come home on his own? He states he needs my help” beneficiary “ to take his money so he can get out????

3/21/2018
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help!

Unfortunately this is very likely a scam. Here on the JustAnswer site we see several customers a week that run into similar scams.

Soon this individual will be saying they attempted to transfer you a large sum of money, but the transfer is frozen because they forgot to pay a fee, and they need you to forward them a few thousand dollars to cover it. Or some similar line as that.

Yes, if this were a US citizen, he could return home without needing to transfer his money to someone else.

You should be very cautious, and should consider ceasing communication with this individual.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Thank you so much. That is what I felt too. I will end communications with him.

Yes, that would be best.

If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Nisha Jones