Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have question on applying H1 and H4 EAD concurrently. Not…

Hi I have question...

Hi I have question on applying H1 and H4 EAD concurrently

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Yes, bit not yet clear

3/21/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So what would you like to know about the H-1 and H-4 EAD?

Question:
I'm on F1 OPT, expiring in June 2018. My employer is applying for H1 on level 1. Are there chances of getting RFE? To maintain work authorization I have two options, try H1 or H4 EAD or both simultaneously? Is it possible to apply H4 while waiting for H1 ? Is premium precessing available for H1?

From reports, it looks like RFEs are up around 40% after the new administration took over, so you most likely will get an RFE. You can file a COS from F-1 to H-4 and EAD at the same time as an H-1B is filed for you, but you have to be careful. If the H-4 is approved after October 1st, 2018, then you will be in H-4 status, not H-1B.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank You. does H4 EAD application eligible for premium processing as my husbands employer will file along with H1 extension application? Also, for this fiscal year is it true that premium processing for H1 is suspended?As my F1 opt will expire in June 2018. And if I apply for H1 and does't get selected through lottery but H4 application is pending , then will I be able to continue working?If H1 selected through lottery I believe I will be in cap gap so should be able to work, right?

No. There is no Premium Processing for H-4 nor the EAD.

And yes, they will be suspending Premium Processing for H-1B. Here is the official link:

https://www.uscis.gov/news/alerts/uscis-will-temporarily-suspend-premium-processing-fiscal-year-2019-h-1b-cap-petitions

You can continue working while your OPT is valid.

And yes, cap gap will also allow you to work.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

can I continue work while waiting for h4 decision and after F1 OPT is expired. (H1 not selected through lottery)?

No. You either have to get the OPT extended, get the H-4 EAD approved, or get cap-gap because you are selected in the H-1B lottery.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Thank you so much. This is all very helpful.
how much is processing time for H4 cos and EAD? Does this PP suspension applicable for H1 extensions also?

It looks like it is applicable to new H-1B cap-subject petitions, not extensions. As to how long it can take, we don't know yet. They are suspending Premium Processing so that ALL of the regular cap-subject H-1B cases will move faster.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Now I have concern on maintainig legal status. How long does it take for chanage of status from F1 to h4?
if we apply for H4 in april and don't receive cos approved before F1 opt expires in June 2018, will I have to leave country?I will definitely leave positive rating.

As I said, it can take a few months, but while the I-539 is pending, you are allowed to stay in the U.S.

if I go back to my country and apply for H4 visa, will that be faster than applying to change of status from usa? And once I get H4 visa, my husband emplyoer can file for EAD? applying for EAD requires cos application or approved H4 visa?

Yes, it would be faster if you went back home and got H-4 visa stamp, but no, it would not be faster to get the EAD, sorry. The EAD has to be filed for in the U.S. and while physically present in the U.S. to be fingerprinted. So if the EAD is your main concern, leaving the U.S. is not a solution. Please do not forget the positive rating. Thank you.

Thank you so much for the information till now. I hope I can ask more questions after this session and giving positive rating.
-

Yes, you can. Thank you for the positive rating. For this topic, just come back here and post a reply. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!