Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I file my my daughter back late of 2007, she got her visa…

I file my my...

I file my my daughter back late of 2007, she got her visa 2008 and never travel, she never told me that she got the visa , all this Tim I'm thinking she never got it and wishing she was here with me and her other siblings. My question is can we get the visa renewed?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No I just found out about this hours ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She live in the island of Trinidad and Tobago

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Why didn't your daughter use the visa? When you originally applied for her, how old was she? Was she married or single? Is she married or single now?

Hello are you going to respond?

I did respond. Please refresh your browser.

Ok. Let's try again. Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

She was 18 at the time and had a son she couldn't find any one to leave him with and was heart broken to leave him with strangers

And she is over 21 now, I assume? Did you apply for her when you were a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident and then later you became a U.S. Citizen or you applied for after you became a U.S. Citizen?

No, I applied for her as a US Citizen
I applied for her after i become a U S Citizen
Hello

Please be patient. You are not the only customer I am helping at the same time. Has she always been single or did she marry at any time since you applied for her?

She never been married
My apologies

No worries. Its ok. And what is the Priority Date of the original I-130 at you filed for her?

Can't really remember I have to call her to get that info and it's very late in Trinidad, how can I get that information to you when I get it

Well, the Priority Date is around the time that you first filed for her. Do you have an estimate as to when that was?

Just a moment let me back track
I field her papers in 2006
This is the original case # *****

Ok. Well, according to the Visa Bulletin, the date there is well past the Priority Date of the original I-130. You can try filing I-824 to inform USCIS that you want to re-notify the National Visa Center (NVC) that there is an approved I-130 that can be used to immigrate to the U.S. now. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-824

It will probably take 5 to 7 months to process the I-824, but after that, you should start getting letters from the NVC to submit some fees and an I-824 Affidavit of Support and other supporting documents, then when that is complete, they should forward the case to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where she lives to schedule her for visa interview. If all goes well, she should be able to immigrate within 9 months to a year or so.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you this was very helpful I appreciate your help and advice

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!