Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have a friend who is from the United States and has been…

I have a friend...

I have a friend who is from the United States and has been working on an oil rig in dubai. When it came time to leave he discovered he had overstayed his visa. He says he doesn't have the money to pay the fines and get out of there. What can he do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

That I don't know. He said he just got out of jail and is staying at the airport hotel. He said he needs money to hire a lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No I have not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't want to get him in any further trouble. He asked me for the money but I am not sure if this is a scam or not. I have never met him and it has been an online relationship. If he yes in trouble I feel bad but I just don't know.

3/20/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

I am sorry to tell you, but this is very likely a scam. I have heard it many times and it is very common.

He would not need a lawyer in a case like this. He could just pay the fines to leave. Fines are usually about $13 a day but normally a person working there would have an employment visa and it is difficult to overstay those.

If you ask him to send you a copy of his passport , I can look at it and confirm if it is not real. Let me know. You can do that even after rating.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney