Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm thinking about inviting a friend from the philippines…

I'm thinking about inviting...

I'm thinking about inviting a friend from the philippines over to the states for a visit. What am I legally responsible for having them come over? She had a visa to visit the states prior to my meeting her. I do not want to get stuck supporting her if things don't work out between us.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet, I'm not sure I know what I need to do

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

Yes, you :)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not really, I don't want to be held responsible if she doesn't like it in Oregon and takes off to parts unknown. Thank you

3/20/2018
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

If she already has a tourist visa, you do not have any financial obligations for her.

Did you file an I-134?

An I-134 is sometimes filed to help with the approval of a tourist visa.

It basically states that you will assume financial responsibility while she is here in her visit, so that she does not need any governmental assistance. In that case, you would be financially responsible to repay any government benefits she uses, such as food stamps or housing assistance for example.

If you did not file an I-134, then this is not applicable.

Financial responsibility would only come into effect if you decide to petition for her for permanent residency as your fiance or spouse, in which case you would file an I-864 and that would make you financially liable in much the same way as I described above with the I-134.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if she comes here and does not like Oregon she can take off to parts unknown and I would still be responsible for her financially?

Did you file an I-134?

Or would you be filing an I-864 to sponsor her as a fiance or spouse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd rather have everything in print form to help cover myself. Thank you, Steve

The phone call request is actually auto generated by the site, so please feel free to disregard it if it's not something you're interested in right now.

Did you receive my prior question?

I'll copy and paste here:

Did you file an I-134?

20 Mar 2018, 6:23 PM

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven't filed anything yet, I'm just starting to look into this

Okay, that's good, let me clarify.

If this friend is just coming to the US to visit, on a tourist visa, then you do not need to file an I-134 or an I-864.

She can enter with her B2 tourist visa, and you have zero financial or other liability for her.

You only have financial liability if you choose to file an I-134 in an effort to help get her tourist visa approved -- but since you mentioned she already has a visitor's visa, there is no need for you to file an I-134 and you therefore have no financial liability.

I hope that helps clarify!

Don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It does, thank you very much for your assistance.

You're welcome, no problem! If you have any more questions in the future and would like my help, please feel free to reach out to me here at JustAnswer by posting a new question, and adding "For Nisha" to the first part of your question. I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you, take care!

Don't forget to rate, thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer