Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am a Canadian and I am current a student. I have submitted…

I am a Canadian...

I am a Canadian and I am current a student. I have submitted I485 as my parent dependent, can I still apply OPT?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes, I have and I received EAD card

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

Trying to find a lawyer as I am thinking of withdraw my application

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Does withdraw application help me to apply TN visa in the future?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Hi Jen
Hello?
Any update to my question?

So sorry, my internet was interrupted. I am back.

Yes, you can still apply for OPT with a pending I-485, however you do not need it if you have a pending I-485. You will receive an EAD based on the pending I-485 as well. You also do not need a TN visa if you have a pending I-485. Are you sure that it's an I-485 that you have and not an I-130?

Thanks Jen. I am afraid my 485 will be denied as I filed it as my father EB3 I485 dependent. If my father's I485 got denied so as mine. So I want to remove this dependence before it get deny decision and apply TN future for myself
my question is should I wait the AOS final decision or withdraw it now ? Does withdraw help me to apply TN or it has same effect of deny for TN application? Or I will not be allowed to apply TN even I withdraw my I485 application now?

You can request to withdraw it. It may help slightly to withdraw it rather than have a denial. However, it doesn't change that you already applied so now USCIS already knows that you have immigrant intent to live in the US by the mere fact that you had an application for permanent residence pending. You are not supposed to have immigrant intent for the F1 or TN visa. So this may affect approval of your future visas. It does not mean that you cannot apply for TN. You can still apply. There's nothing that prohibits you from applying and if you qualify you can still be approved. And you will no longer have the I-485 pending so that is a plus. All you can do is apply and see.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney