Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My wife and I both have cards which are due to expire in…

Customer Question
My wife and I...

My wife and I both have green cards which are due to expire in 2019. We are from UK and spend most of our time in Europe. I guess we should relinquish our residency status although we will still want to visit USA a couple of times a year for a couple of months each time as our son lives in Florida and we still own property and investments here. How do we go about giving up residency and will we still be able to travel to USA on an Esta?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

We have done noting as yet. I am in USA and my wife, unwell, still in UK.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, cant think of anything right now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/20/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Nisha Jones, Esq.

Good afternoon, I am an Immigration attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office, and I'll be answering your questions today. Keep in mind JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

I've reviewed your question and I'm happy to help. Give me just a few minutes to finish typing up some information for you, thanks!

If you and your wife would like to relinquish your permanent resident status, then you can do so formally by filling out and submitting USCIS Form I-407.

You can access the form and instructions here:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-407

Keep in mind that once you relinquish your permanent resident status, you will have to start the application process over from the beginning again if you choose to re-apply in the future.

Yes, you both would still be able to use ESTA visas in the future.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any other questions about this. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars at the top of the page, as it's the only way experts are compensated for our time on the site. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating of 3 stars or more (5 stars are always appreciated). The question won't close after rating, so you can still ask follow-up questions after. Thanks, ***** ***** it!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!

Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer