Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

What is the best way to go about bringing my new husband and…

What is the best...

What is the best way to go about bringing my new husband and his 2 daughters (19&22) year old to live with me in the US?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Nothing yet, we didn't get married yet. we want to do it in July but want to make sure the girls can come, he can't leave them behind

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm a US citizen from Egypt, I live in the US. he and the his kids still in Egypt.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/20/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Unfortunately, it's not going to be good news for the two daughters. I assumed you married legally and you married after the girls turned 18? Again, I ask that you please not get upset at me. I did not write the laws, I am just the messenger.

the younger daughter still 18, but if we got married in July she will be 19. would it make a different if we got married before her birthday?
no
I can't talk right now, massages is better

So you have not married? If you have not married yet, there might be hope for the 19 year old, but not the 22 year old, I'm afraid.

Please tell me more about the 19 year old

If you have not married yet, you should apply for your spouse and your step-daughter to get a K-1 and K-2 visa. It is an exception so that your spouse doesn't have to apply for the 19 year old after he gets his green card. If you had married before she turned 18, then it would not be a problem. Here is a link:

Take a look at this link:

http://richardbracken.com/k2-visa-tips-for-children-of-alien-fiances/

So to make it easier for the 19 year old, do not marry yet, file an I-129F and do a K-1 for your fiancee and K-2 for his youngest daughter. Here is a link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html

As to how long it can take, unfortunately 6 months or more. And no, they will not normally be allowed to visit during that time.

As to the older daughter, he will have to file for her when he becomes a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident and as long as she remains single, it would be about a 7 year process for her to come. I am truly sorry about that, but that's the way the law is written.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

What is she still 17 and will turn 18 in May? I'm sorry, I'm not sure of her birth year.So, for the 22 year old daughter, there is nothing else he can do 2 bring her b4 7 years? And she have 2 stay single until l she comes?
Is that a grantee or she may not be able to come even after 7years?
What happens if she got married?

If you marry before she turns 17, then you can file an I-130 for each of them and each of them can come to the U.S. and get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency pretty much upon entry into the U.S. The 22 year old still cannot be helped by you. As far as a guarantee, immigration never has a guarantee, but unless she marries or commits a crime, she should be able to immigrate in about 7 years or so.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

the cut line is 17 or 18 year old? She either tuning 18 or 19...
Should I rate uuhhmmm after each question or in the end? U get 5 starts:)

You MUST marry BEFORE the child turns 18. You can rate now, if you wouldn't mind. Thank you.

If we do So, she'll b able 2 come with him? What form I use for him and her??

Unfortunately, it still takes 6 months or more to process, so it will take time. Here is a link to that process:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/immigrant-visa-for-spouse.html

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

ok, so what I understood is, as long as I start the process b4 she turns 18, then doesn't matter when she comes, right?you are so welcome, you been a great help!!

As long as you MARRY before she turns 18, then you can start the process before she turns 21. Key is marrying BEFORE she turns 18.

GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My pleasure!