Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Super quick question. I am in the US on an E2 visa that

Hi, super quick question...

Hi, super quick question. I am in the US on an E2 visa that expires in 2021 and my UK passport expires in 2026. However, the visa simply gives the length of time that I can apply for entry into the US. Immigration document (I-94) states how long I can stay, and that is always only two years. So, I have to leave the country by May 26th, but I am right in assuming that I only have to leave for 10 mins? eg, I can fly to Canada, turn round and fly straight back in again, as long as I pass through immigration my I-94 will be renewed for another 2 years?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet, I know my employer can file for I-94 extension, I just figured it would be easier for me to get a flight to Canada and turn round and come back

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the E-2 visa?

I have the visa etc..it's perfectly valid until 2021, but my I-94 is only valid for 2 years

3/20/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

The super quick questions usually have complicated and long answers. A trip to Canada, Mexico or any of the adjacent islands to the U.S. is normally supposed to last 30 or more days for a new I-94 to be issued. So you may want to go to some place in Central America, for example, (not Mexico) for at least a day and then you should not have a problem getting a new I-94 for 2 years.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!