Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If my fiancée and i marry in her home country, do we apply…

Customer Question
If my fiancée and i...
If my fiancée and i marry in her home country , do we apply for a fiancée visa and marry in the states also? Or do we apply for a married visa and then do we also marry in the states ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/20/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Marry her here in US with fiance visa.

If you are a U.S. citizen who wants to bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married, you will need to file a Form I-129F, Petition For Alien Fiancé(e). This is the first step to obtaining a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for your fiancé(e). The K-1 nonimmigrant visa is also known as a fiancé(e) visa.

In order to obtain a K-1 fiancé(e) visa, you and your fiancé(e) must intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the U.S as a K-1 nonimmigrant. Your marriage must be valid, meaning both you and your fiancé(e) have a bona fide intent to establish a life together and the marriage is not for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit.

If your fiancé(e) marries you within 90 days of being admitted to the United States as a K-1 nonimmigrant, he or she may apply for lawful permanent resident status in the United States (a Green Card).

Reference

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/fiancee-visa/visas-fiancees-us-citizens

Congrats I appreciate the chance to help you.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

We plan to marry in her home country before applying for a visa. What visa will we apply for if already married in her home country? So that she can come to the states. And will we be required to marry again in the states ?

You would apply here for visa.

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/spouse/bringing-spouses-live-united-states-permanent-residents

You don't have to remarry the US recognizes foreign marriage. You just need a copy of your wedding license.

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page here.