Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

In 2009 I made the mistake of marrying a Brazilian woman in…

Customer Question
In 2009 I made...

In 2009 I made the mistake of marrying a Brazilian woman in the country of Brazil. To make a long story short we ended up agreeing to divorce and I sent her the money to file, but instead she kept the money and never filed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Brazilian family court?

I do not live in Brazil

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No,I just found out that I am not divorced from her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I started a Visa petition and gave a copy of the marriage document to the government, so they think we are still married

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/19/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney replied 3 months ago
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

OK, I'm waiting
I'll type thank you
Are you there?

Yes. I will be right with you. Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

If she did not file for divorce and you did not file for divorce, then you are technically still married. Is the issue that you want to apply for another foreign person and you need to be divorced to do that?