Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I live in NJ and plan to apply for naturalization. The Form…

Second opinion] I live in...
Second opinion] I live in NJ and plan to apply for naturalization. The Form N-400 asks disclosure of any detention or court appearance. I want guidance if to mention municipal garbage infractions. Thanks in advance, PABLO
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

I took the liberty of reading your account of the traffic stop and the traffic citation. During that stop it was discovered you had trash in your vehicle that the police tried to insist you were going to illegally dump.

They did not cite you with any document for illegal dumping and you have no obligation to disclose the little tour the cops took you on before just giving your the citation. Noting about detention or any court appearance was required for the garbage infraction.

You are not required to disclose this, it was not a police act for garbage infraction, just a drive around the block!

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Hi Judith, thanks for your straightforward answer. As a separate issue, the Form N-400 asks disclosure of any detention or court appearance. I want guidance if to mention municipal garbage infractions. They did make me go to municipal court for these, but that's mostly because it's Newark, NJ and they are a bit obnoxious that way, in any other town I would had just to pay them. Do I have to put those municipal infractions in the form? Thanks in advance, PABLO

Hi Pablo

If you went to court and it asks if you went to court you have to answer YES.

Go to the court house and get a certified copy of the court disposition and submit it with the N-400 or take it with you to the interview.

It doesn't matter if they are obnoxious, the question is did you have to appear in court and the answer is YES.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Hi Judith, again, thanks for being straightforward. I reviewed the citizenship application and the questions I'm answering is: Form N-400 Part 12, page 14, Question 24: "Have you EVER been charged with committing, attempting to commit, or assisting in committing a crime or offense? Yes/No" So in that context, would you recommend to your client to say "Yes" and list the 3 garbage disposal infractions? Like I've said, I had to go to municipal court and they gave me a fine, but that's it. Do these infractions qualify as "offense" or are they in your opinion below the threshold of what USCIS is asking for? Thanks in advance.
I have submitted a rating but please answer the question above. Thanks in advance.

You answer YES.

The infraction is an offense.

Just be to do as I said and take with you the certified copies of the dispositions.

Thanks, Judith.

Good luck Pablo.

Judith