Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Thank you, my question is i'm an american citizen 59 years…

Hello, yes thank you...

Hello, yes thank you, ***** ***** is i'm an american citizen 59 years old divorce, and i will like to married this illegal women and fix her status, and if i do will she have to go back to mexico for a long period of time ( years) ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

None not even married yet,

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Nobody

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well this is my main question, to decide to married her or not

3/19/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

I assume that you are marying this woman because you are in love andnot to just get her legal status.

If she entered the US unlawfully without a visa she is not eligible to adjust status to permanent resident here in the US.

You have to file an Immediate Relative Petition for her. When it is approved she then has to file form I-601A and request a Provisional Waiver of her unlawful entry.

It takes about 6 months for a decision on this waiver after approximately 5 months wait for the I-130 to be approved.

The provisional waiver basically saves he a year wait in Mexico for her waiver because she gets USCIS to approve the provisional waiver that is then honored by the consulate when she goes there for her immigrant visa interview Her wait time for her immigrant visa is then only about a months since she has gotten the provisional waiver in advance.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Thank you very helpful you answer, and yes i want to married her because i love her, but i don't want to separate from her for many years wattling to fix her status, since i'm already old, so you saying is a very good chance for her to stay here while she becomes a resident?

No she can stay here while she waits for her provisional waiver and then she has to return to Mexico for her immigrant visa interview and that generally takes a month.

Judith

May I answer anything further to earn your positive rating and be paid for my answer?

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you!