Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

According to the new Cuban law can marriage to a us citizen…

Customer Question
According to the new...

According to the new Cuban law can marriage to a us citizen avoid a Cuban to be deported

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

No none

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about removal proceedings?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Immigration Law
3/19/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team replied 1 month ago
Law Educator, Esq., Immigration Law Answer Team

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

No, I am afraid that marriage to a US Citizen by a Cuban cannot avoid deportation. Marriage in the US does not cure grounds for deportation If the person can be deported, then marriage will not save him from that deportation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can the Cuban do to stay in the usa?

Thank you for your reply.

The honest answer is that under the current enforcement of the immigration laws that exist right now, not much, because if the Cuban is illegally present in the US, they will have to be deported. If the Cuban can prove their life is in danger if they return to Cuba, and they must prove a real danger to their life, then they could apply for asylum and seek to remain in the US on that basis.