Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My ex-husband and I have a son together and my ex-husband…

My ex-husband and I...

My ex-husband and I have a son together and my ex-husband just got detained at the Detroit airport and I don't know what they're going to do with him as he is not a US citizen. Will the state take everything that he has? Or will my son be able to get anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

They just apprehended him today his son from Poland came they asked him some questions and they shipped him back to Poland and they took my son's dad into a room and then told my son to leave after 4 hours saying that he would be there overnight talk to Mark that's my ex he said that he didn't know where he was going yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

That's what I'm trying to do. My son is 20 years old and he's in Michigan going to college that is Dad's paying for and I'm in Illinois 6 hours away

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just basically if there's any way we can protect the assets for my son or does it all just get taken to by the government when they deport someone that's my biggest question

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My ex-husband who is not a US citizen has a lot of land and a house that he owns I know the house is free and clear and he has money with Ameritrade for both his sons will all that be lost? I know he has them as beneficiaries but he's not deceased obviously what happens to everything and like I said my son is in the middle of his sophomore year college which is Dad is paying for
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm willing to text. The other problem is I have a 20 year old son that's up in Michigan at an empty house without his dad without any direction. Is there a chance that if his dad was detained at the airport and they obviously are questioning his citizenship is there a chance you'd be able to be released?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there some legal documents that you can send me that pretty much detail what happens when an illegal alien is sent back to their country what happens to their belongings in the US?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello?

I am bit confused. Please explain. Why was your ex is detained at the airport? Was he leaving or coming in? Was he in the US illegally?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He went to the airport to pick up his son from Poland his son was questioned and I don't know what he said but they sent him back to Poland didn't let him stay and then they took Mark is Dad my son's dad Joshua's dad to a room for over 4 hours and Josh was my son was told to go ahead and go home his dad would be not going home for the night. And yes his dad is not a US citizen

Ok thanks for the detail. That helps a lot. Was his dad illegally in the US?

None of your ex husband's belongings will be taken from him. The government does not seize his assets like in a criminal case. This is not a criminal case. His property remains his. Your ex can sign a power of attorney if he would like your son to sell or manage any of his belongings if he does leave the US. That's up to him but it remains him.

In addition, the ex will not just be deported just like that. Since he is in the US, he has the right to see an immigration judge and try to fight his case and stay in the US. During the time that he fights in court, he can request to be released on bail. He will need an immigration attorney and one is not provided for free. You or your son may want to try to help with that.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Finish by rating does not come up for me to click?

Have a great night :)

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney