Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an International student ( F1- Multiple visa until

I am an International...

I am an International student ( F1- Multiple visa until 2019), I just applied for asylum three weeks ago and still waiting for having the receipt number. I need to go outside of US( to Mexico) for my health issue treatment, but I have heard that I need advance parole. Now, considering that it take time to have the AP, the only option that I have is the withdrawal my asylum application, right?
Can I do it during this coming week? I need to be in Mexico between March 18-31
So on March 31, when coming back, can I be hopeful that they will let me get in the US just using my F1?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Just the first steps

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about asylum?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I guess that is all I needto know

3/19/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What country are you from? The news is probably not going to be good.

I am from Iran.
Please answer me through this page
Hello?

The problem you will have is immigrant intent. The F-1 visa requires non-immigrant intent to use it. Even if you withdrew your Asylum application, the immigrant intent that you showed by filing it does not just go away. So unfortunately, that is not a solution. You can file for an Advance Parole and ask that it be expedited. Here are two links:

http://www.uscis.gov/forms/expedite-criteria

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume1-PartA-Chapter12.html

I would not withdraw the Asylum and I certainly would not leave the U.S. until the Advance Parole is approved.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I need more comunication from you, I need to go to Mexico next week and my treatment is just for a week, I am a cancer patient, the advanced parole take time to have, so do you think they would prevent me to come back on March 31 with no advance parole?

You are risking that they not allow you back into the U.S. As I said, if the issue is so urgent, you should be able to get them to expedite the Advance Parole to be able to get it in a few days. Go to the Local USCIS Field Office if you have to with a filled out I-131 and evidence of your medical issue and urgency. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Do you think they will provide me a advance parole during this week if I have all documents?

I cannot say, but it's not like you have much of a choice. If you can provide evidence of the medical emergency, they are supposed to provide you with the Advance Parole quickly.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Sir, I would defenitely give your answers a rate, but if the AP can not be prepared before I leave what can I do?can I tell them to send it to me in Mexico?

As I said, if you leave the U.S. BEFORE the Advance Parole is approved, you risk not being let back in. You can try for the Humanitarian Parole at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside of the U.S., but there is no guarantee that you will be approved and let back into the U.S. It is very risky what you are doing. You may have to wait a little longer before leaving to Mexico. I wish I had an easier solution for you.

where do you think is the best office to go for the AP form considering that I am living in Morgantown, WV?

West Virginia is handled by this office:

https://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices/pennsylvania-pittsburgh-field-office

OK, thank you if I have more questions later on, am I going to be charged again?
hello?
Hello sir I am waiting for your response

No. You are not charged again. The session never closes. You can always come back here and ask more questions. Just PLEASE do not forget to leave a positive rating now. Thank you.

Thank you for the positive rating. For this topic, just come back here and reply. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thank you!

My pleasure!

Hi!

Hello.

I have been in the local USCIS the whole day today, It was in Pittsburgh, they said something different! they said I dont need the AP form at all! because I have study visa!
do you have any comments?

Ok. Go ahead. But when CBP doesn't let you back in because of the immigrant intent that you showed by applying for Asylum, good luck blaming them. You aren't supposed to ask them for advice. They are not lawyers and are not licensed to give advice. You were only supposed to ask the to expedite the Advance Parole.

I just took the officer phone number in the asylum office in case they still would not let me get in; the officer said if they dont let you get in they need to call us!!!

Ok. Good luck with that.

Thank you, ***** ***** showed me a page from USCIS saying that as far as we have valid visa, we do not need AP form! to come back, AP form is for asylum applicants who do not have any valid visa!!!

My friend, you do what you feel is right. I stand by my original answer. I hope you don't have any issues coming back. Good luck.

Thank you so much. I will see and will let you know.

My pleasure.