Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

FOR GUILLERMO I have a few quick questions for you about…

FOR GUILLERMOHello sir. I have...
FOR GUILLERMOHello sir. I have a few quick questions for you about I-864 Affidavit of Support.Previously, you mentioned that these docs should be submitted with the I-864:
"1)-Copy of US Citizen's 2016 Tax Return and W-2/1099 forms for 2016.
2)-Copies of the last 3 to 6 Bank Statements.
3)-Copies of the last 3 to 6 Paycheck Stubs.
4)- Letter from employer on company letterhead stating salary, position, time with the company, and prospects for continued employment in the near future.1. My first question is, if a person is self-employed, can this person skip #'s 3 and 4 above?2. If the U.S. Citizen Petitioner has a joint sponsor, does BOTH the joint sponsor and the U.S. Citizen Petitioner need to submit #'s 1-4 above or only the joint sponsor?3. Can I ask you, if in the scenario the wife of a U.S. Citizen, who arrived with a K-1, is applying for adjustment of status with her son, who arrived with a K-2, does the U.S. Citizen Petitioner who is sponsoring these two people need to submit the I-864 for both his wife and the son, or just one I-864?Thank you very much.
3/18/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

1) Yes, but if the person is self employed, I would include copies of the articles of incorporation and proof that they are the owner of the company, copies of their profit and loss statements and a letter from them stating their position with the company, what they pay themselves and the prospects for this remaining stable or improving in the near future.

2) Yes. A separate (and additional I-864) and evidence is needed.

3) One for each.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!