Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying for a K-1 fiance visa I-129F and I have a

Second opinion] I am...

Second opinion] I am applying for a K-1 fiance visa I-129F and I have a misdemeanor that was expunged around 15 years ago....will this affect or delay my application.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the K-1 visa?

Not yet

3/19/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, it may affect or delay your application. So, if you have not done so already, you need to get certified copy of the disposition of the case from the Court eventhough the conviction has been expunged. You need to attach the certified Court record on your application.

Goodluck with your petition.

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I also went to a substance abuse rehab many years ago, will this be a factor?
Will they even know about the rehab?
The expungement was for criminal impersonation...I went to a dentists office and used a fake name and fake address.

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

Kindly give me a few minutes to review the information that you have provided and prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Response 1: No.

Will they even know about the rehab?

Response 2: No.

Response 3: This may present a problem with your visa application.. However, you do not have any choice but to apply and see what the Consular Officer says about that.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. Thank you for your cooperation.
On "The expungement was for criminal impersonation" question, that was in reference to the K1 fiancé visa application...I already have MY passport.
Will this affect the K1 fiancé visa? Will my petition to bring my fiancé to America be in jeopardy because of this expunged misdemeanor?
Thanks again

Thank you for the clarification.

The answer is NO and NO. I thought you were the beneficiary of the visa petition--thought someone was applying for you, not the other way around.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law