Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My sister and her son have a GC interview on Mar 26 in

Islamabad. He is unmarried as...
My sister and her son have a GC interview on Mar 26 in Islamabad. He is unmarried as F4 derivative beneficiary. After the visa stamp on Mar 26 they may not travel to the US until May/Jun timeframe. So the question is, from immigration law perspective, can he get married (only nikah) after the GC interview (3/26) but before arriving to the US?
3/18/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

How old is he? And why would he want to marry? To give his spouse a chance to come with him? That will not really work.

He is 25 years and 9 months old. No that is not the intent. It is understood that he will have to make a F2A filing for his future wife. The question came up because my nephew (Hassan) is a grad student in Germany but currently visiting home (Pakistan) to attend the green card interview (on 3/26). The idea was for him to get married soon after he clears the interview process and gets a visa stamp in Pakistan, but before he actually is able to travel to the US which will be in a couple of months at the earliest. So it is driven by the need to efficiently manage time off and travel schedules.Bottomline question is this: After he clears the green card interview in Pakistan on 3/26, is there any risk in his getting married there BEFORE he enters the US as for the first time as GC holder. Still after the 3/26 date, of course.
He is 25 but still OK per CSPA rules.

I would say that it is a risk for him to marry before he uses the immigrant visa to enter the U.S. Technically he is not a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident until he uses the immigrant visa to enter. If he marries before, then he may have to go through the additional step of proving it was not a legal marriage. Even though he might be able to do it, I would avoid that issue altogether and have him marry after he enters the U.S. I know it is inconvenient, but in this difficult immigration environment, I would not risk it.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.