Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am applying for a K-1 fiance visa I-129F and I have a

I am applying for...

I am applying for a K-1 fiance visa I-129F and I have a misdemeanor that was expunged around 15 years ago....will this affect or delay my application.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the K-1 visa?

Not yet

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

The government can always see something that was expunged. It is only the public that cannot see it. What was the misdemeanor?

Criminal impersonation.
where do I go to get the information on this citation to send in with the visa application? The police station?

Can you explain a little more about the charge? Why were you charged with that?

about 15 years ago I went into a dentists office and gave a fake name and fake address so I wouldn't have to pay the bill.

Ok. Something like that should not cause an issue with the K-1. If they ask, you should not lie, but don't disclose if not asked. If asked, you should have certified copies from the police and the court that no records exist (since it has been expunged).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

But the visa application wants to know this up front, (when I send in the application)...so do I send the certified copies from the police and court when I send in the application?
where do I get the certifies copies of the ticket and expungement?
would it help the approval process if I send copies of my college degrees? and maybe recommendation letters?
Thank you.

If they ask for it, yes, you have to disclose it and should send in the certified copies. If you do not send them with the application, they will ask for them later and it could delay the process. And no, copies of your college degrees won't really be helpful.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

one last question...I went to a drug rehab maybe a decade ago, will they know or ask about that?
where do I get the certified copies of the expungement?

One last question? We will see.... Anyway, that will be a problem if you were ever convicted of drug use. Then you will have to prove that you are not a danger to your fiancee. You would get certified copies from the police and from the court.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

not convicted of drug use...just criminal impersonation.

Ok. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!