Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Does the army request a proxy marriage fo a soldier to leave…

Does the army request a...
Does the army request a proxy marriage fo a soldier to leave base?
3/18/2018
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please clarify your question for me:

Are you asking whether a soldier can get leave to get married? Or are you asking whether a proxy wife must request leave for her soldier/husband?

I’m asking if a proxy marriage has to take place for a soldier to leave base

No. Soldiers earn leave the way civilians earn vacation time. The longer they serve the more time off they get. When they want to leave base, they put in for it and it's granted to them, just the way you put in for your vacation time.

People who ask a question like yours are typically the target of a military romance fraud. Is that your situation? That is, do you think you have a fiance in the military that you've only communicated with electronically?

I’m not sure if it is or not. I’m currently talking with this man who claims to be in the amry and in a special mission in Nigeria and now he want to come and meet and started asking for the proxy which sent all kinds of red flags up! I ask for prove and he’s not providing it so that’s why I’m ssking.

He's a scammer. Presently, the US has no troops in Nigeria. However, most military romance scammers are actually Nigerians. The military romance scam has become their specialty.

They are great at sweeping women off of their feet, but fortunately, they don't know a thing about the military. That means they make ridiculous statements like the one about the proxy marriages.

What he's trying to do is to get you to agree to what would be a fake marriage ceremony. In that way, you would think you had a husband and end up paying money for various reasons to get him or his so called valuables back to the States.

Drop him like a hot potato, because you're never going to meet him, and he's not telling you the truth. Whoever he really is, he's not in the military. And if he were really on a special mission, he wouldn't be allowed to tell you.

Report him to the FBI at www.IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at www.FTC.gov as that is where the Department of Defense wants these creeps reported to.

Here's a warning from the US Army itself about such scams, and if after reading my answer you don't know whether to believe me or not, hopefully, you will believe them.

http://www.army.mil/article/67457/

Here's an article from a soldier's wife, that's also instructive.

http://marriedtothearmy.com/are-you-dating-an-army-soldier-or-a-fake/

If you need harder evidence of scam, let me know, but I think your common sense has tipped you off already.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer