Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I fave a family member with a expired (over 10 yrs) Bahamian…

I fave a family...

I fave a family member with a expired (over 10 yrs) Bahamian passport living here undocumented - how can she best renew the Bahamian passport ? VHS the embassy? Must she leave voukuntarily?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

No steps taken - what should she do - she has a 19 year old daughter just started college daughter was born here us citizen

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

No she’s afraid this is my first contact I am a us citizen but not a blood relative

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She has a social sec# ***** for many years (over 20) as a pre school teacher - filed her taxes - now she has no papers to get a license or to get fingerprints as are required every 5 years for teaching —any ideas?

3/18/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I cannot tell you about Bahamian law, only the U.S. immigration law. I'm pretty sure that she should be able to renew her passport through the Bahamian embassy or consulate in the U.S. For U.S. immigration purposes, she doesn't really need to renew it. When the U.S. Citizen daughter turns 21, she can petition for her mother and the mother would not have to leave the U.S. as long as she originally came in on a visa that allows for Adjustment of Status like the B-2 tourist visa.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

I am not sure about the b 2 visa I will try to find out . What is she doesn’t have that - any other options ? If she renewzher passport via the Miami embassy then she can stay here for 1-1/2 yrs? Till daughter turns 21 ? What does the sponsorship entail ?

She has to prove how she entered the U.S. If she doesn't have that proof, then she can file an I-102 to try to get a copy of that proof. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-102

As far as renewing her passport, no, that will not let her stay. She remains deportable from the U.S. at any time, but unless she commits a serious enough crime, she would not be a priority for deportation, so they will probably leave her alone.

As to sponsorship, her daughter has to prove she makes enough money so that her mother does not become a public charge. If she doesn't make enough, then she must look for a Joint Sponsor for the financial aspect of the case. This Joint Sponsor must also file the same Affidavit of Support that she does and submit the same evidence that she still has to submit. The Joint Sponsor can be any U.S. Citizen or U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident that is over the age of 18 that makes the minimum amount. It does not have to be a family member or a household member.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Thank you I want to rate you 5 stars if I do that now will I still be able to ask you a question?

Yes. I've mentioned that a couple of times that the session does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. You can still ask follow-up questions after.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!