Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My niece received a denied letter for i539. She was a j-1…

Hello, My niece received...

Hello, My niece received a denied letter for i539. She was a j-1 visa, and tried to change to F1

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your niece taken? Has she filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

She filed i539,

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your niece talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She had j1 expired last july, went to a private high school in last aug until now...

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/18/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

So sorry this happened. What is your question regarding the situation?

I am happy to help you but I would need an answer to my question to answer you.

She applied the i539 for changing j1 to f1. She had j1 expired last July,she applied changed to f1 and i20 started last Sept. the denied reason was over the 30day gap. She attended the school and almost graduate. (In 2 month) . But she would like to get higher education. What she can do after receiving the denied letter?

Unfortunately a person can only change their status for example from J1 to F1 if they are still in valid expired. Once her J1 visa expired, she was not allowed to change her status here in the US. The only way to correct it now, will be for her to leave the US immediately and apply for an F1 visa outside the US. She cannot fix it here in the US. It is not possible under the law.

I'm so sorry, I wish I had better news. I hope you can understand that I don't make the laws and I can't change them.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney