Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am an international student and I got caught up in Walmart…

Customer Question
I am an international...

I am an international student and I got caught up in Walmart for stealing good worth 15$ and the official says that I will get a letter and will have to appear in front of court in next three weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Do you have any upcoming court dates on the theft charges?

No I didn’t received any letter from court

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the theft occur?

It’s my first time I get into it

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Pa

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Hello
3/17/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

If this is your first contact with the law in Pennsylvania, you'd be eligible for ARD. That's Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition. You don't have to take a plea. You get supervised, perform community service, pay fiines and stay out of further trouble with the law. Then if you do all of that your case gets dismissed. Immigration would not consider that a conviction, since it involves no plea of guilty.

What you don't want, if you can help it, is to have to plead guilty to a larceny offense as that is much more serious for you than for a US citizen. But if you can get ARD or get this case reduced to just a civil infraction, that won't hurt you with Immigration.

Still, for best results, you should get a lawyer involved now. He can talk to the prosecutor and cut a deal before your court date to keep this off of your record if possible. Once it's filed with the court, that becomes a different story as it will be on your record.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.