Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

If someone is on a removal procedure with immigration, can a…

If someone is on a...
If someone is on a removal procedure with immigration, can a letter to the judge asking if self deportation will avoid a penalty work?
3/17/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

It takes more than a letter. Generally you need to retain an attorney who then has a conference with the government attorney and gets the government attorney to agree to a mutual request of the judge to allow voluntary departure.

If you get voluntary departure then that does not count as a deportation and you do not have a 10 or 15 year bar to returning.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so my dad selfdeported hismelf but he didn’t tell the judge, he hasn’t showed up to the appointments with the judge but the judge keeps rescheduling the appointment. Should I just hire an attorney and tell him he left the states Two years ago?

It is too late now for voluntary departure. Once he self-deported he cannot get back into the country and ask for voluntary departure.

He made a big mistake by not asking for VD before leaving. Not he has a 10 year bar.

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page.

Judith

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he would of had to show to that appointment with the judge?

Yes, he has to personally appear before the judge and he would not get a visa to return after self-deporting.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer