Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Am principal applicant and present in USA with my family. We…

Am principal applicant and...

Am principal applicant and present in USA with my family . We are applying for adjustment status I-485 . When I filed my asylum application my doughter was under 21 , but now she is 23 . So what am I supposed to to write on page 4 part 2 for derivative?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

We didn't sent any paperwork

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

My lowyer asked for too much money We are already granted asylum in USA

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Your child was under 21 when the I-589 was filed correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Am still waiting

Take a look at these links:

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/Archives%201998-2008/2004/cspa081704.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/child-status-protection-act

Primarily:

If you are a derivative asylee, your CSPA age is your age on the date your principal asylee parent or Form I-730 petitioner filed his or her Form I-589. If you were under the age of 21 at the time your parent filed Form I-589, your age is frozen as of that date and you will not age out. Unlike derivative refugees, you must be unmarried in order to qualify for a grant of derivative asylum and to qualify for a Green Card under INA section 209.

So your child is still considered a child for purposes of filing the I-485 as long as they remain single.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Then what should I write on page 4 part 2 for her application ? My name as a principal applicant ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You didn't answered what I asked

A little patience. I will be right with you...

Again, sorry about the delay, but it is Saturday and I am assisting two other customers at the same time.

On Page 4, part 2, your child would fill that part out with your information as you are the principal applicant and your child is the derivative.

What else would you like to know?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
As a granted asylum . I don't have receipt number of principal underlying petition . It's confusing me
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I keep it blank?

Leave it blank because you are not using an I-130, I-140 or I-360 that would give you such a petition number.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about page 1 . Other names have used since birth ? She doesn't have any .
But it say including your family name at birth
Does it mean she has to write her current name ?

If she has never used any other name, then leave that blank. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Regarding fee waiver for I 485 .
As granted asylum . We stopped our medical and food stamp . Bcuz my husband got a nursing job in texas . When we are filling for I-912 they look for tax return of 2016 2017 ?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean 2017

They will look at the last tax return (you may get away with 2016 since 2017 is not due yet) but they will want to see evidence of current income.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Current income is higher than 2016 or 2017 .
He started on January 2017. Are we still eligible for waiver ?

Probably not. But if you try and fail, it will just delay your case and they will send everything back and you just have to file again with the proper fee, so it might be worth it to try. Please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We already submitted our tax . Then which year we should send with waiver

Since you submitted 2017, then the 2017 taxes would be the correct to send for the fee waiver.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My daughter can ask for waiver because she filed her taxes as independent and she is full time student?

She can ask for a waiver independently, yes.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much . You are so helpful . I really appreciate.

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He made 17700 last year and I made 31000 . I lost my job this year . Are you sure we may not be eligible for few waiver ?

Perhaps, but you would have to show that you lost your job and are on unemployment benefits, etc. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had to resigned because of my husband relocation . And still I didn't apply for unemployment

You can still try.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was in California. Now in texas . Which state I should apply for unemployment?

I don't deal with unemployment law, so I cannot help you there. Sorry.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.