Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have been married since 1996 (in Italy), we moved to the…

Good afternoon, my name...

Good afternoon, my name is***** have been married since 1996 (in Italy), we moved to the USA with 3 children in 2009. Because I am a USA citizen our children got the USA citizenship and we did the paper work for my husband. Now he has the green card and he would like to get the citizenship doing the exam.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

He is doing all the steps he is required, my question is actually for something that involves his citizenship but, because things between us has not been going fine and we are not living togheter anymore (since the end of November 2017) is more about if we divorce will the divorce affect his application for the citizenship?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the citizenship application?

No, he is doing it on his own

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

An other question is: if it does not effect his citizenship application is it there a way to divorce in a friendly way without involving lawyers?

3/17/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

Although you and your spouse have been married and residing together in a good faith marriage for more than 5 years he does not have to base his marriage on you good faith marriage.

He does qualify for naturalization as the separated spouse of a US citizen based on his 5 years physical residence in the US as a permanent resident.

He is required to disclose your separate residences on the N-400 and that you and he are no longer living in a good faith marriage and have the intent to divorce.

This does not make him ineligible for naturalization based on the 5 year rule. He may not under any circumstances misrepresent your living arrangements and fail to disclose your separation because that would be fraud. You are not required to reside together in order for him to qualify for naturalization based on the 5 year rule.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you very much, you have been very helpfull and clear, if I would need farther assistence i would contact you for sure.