Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I got recently arrested in a police string operation for…

I got recently arrested...

I got recently arrested in a police string operation for prostitution,i am an immigrant on h1b how does it effect my employment opportunities

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

We hired a lawyer and she is worrking on the case omnibus hearing is on april 9th

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the H-1B visa?

I am already on h1b valid till march 2020

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Would like to know what are the consequences i have to pay and how will affect my employment opportunities

3/17/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Will you be convicted? Were you the prostitute or you were trying to hire the prostitute?

It was ad in the backpage and responded to the ad I did some chatting regarding how much does she charge, and after going to the place I didn't do anything as soon as I went they caught me and arrested there were no money exchange nothing. she asked to bring the sprite and chocolate i took that. that's it . let me know if you need any other details

Ok. If you are convicted, as long as the sentence is less than 6 months in jail (and I'm sure it will be and you probably won't get any jail time), then you would not be considered inadmissible or deportable from the U.S. As long as that is your only issue, you should avoid an immigration issue. As to employment, that really depends on your potential employer. I'm sure most companies would not want to hire someone with a criminal record, but some companies don't care. You can have the case sealed or expunged so that companies can see it and you can deny it ever happened to most companies, but the government will always see it and you must always disclose to the government.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

HI Can I have your phone number or email, so that chat with you personally
Phone call session started
My Lawyer had the opportunity to talk to the prosecutor. He will not budge on the offer: Stay of Imposition (meaning it is a felony until such time that you are done with probation, at which point it becomes a misdemeanor).Given my Immigration status (H1-B) am I allowed to stay in the country with a felony and work.

As long as it is not a final conviction, it should be ok.

If I did the case to be sealed or expunged after the final hearing . The hiring companies when do back ground check will they be able to see my case or not ?

Most private companies will not be able to see it, but the government can always see it and you must always disclose to the government and some private employers that deal with sensitive things like children, military secrets, etc.

Even though I have a felony(string operation by cop saying age of the girl to be under 18 but they lied) but still I am eligible for expungement of the case right. or are there any exceptions for the expungement not to happen.

I don't do criminal law, so I cannot tell you anything in regards ***** ***** I can only tell you from the immigration aspect that the conviction will always count against you and immigration will always see it in their system as an expungement does NOT erase it from government systems.