Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I am from the United Kingdom and working in Califronia on an…

Customer Question
Hi There I am...

Hi There I am from the United Kingdom and working in Califronia on an E2 visa

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

In the early hours of Monday morning I was arrested for riding a bicycle under the influence (21200.5) and 'under influence in public (647f) and I wanted to ensure that I was ok to leave the country prior to my 'appearance in court' date i have a family wedding and will be out the country from the 29th March to the 9th April

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the E-2 visa?

How do you mean? I am looking for advice as to whether it is fine for me to continue traveling forwards and backwards

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that is all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 day by:
3/17/2018
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Welcome to JustAnswer! I have 34 years experience as an immigration attorney and I am here to help resolve your immigration issue. Tackling these issues can sometimes get confusing. Should you need to chat on the phone or document review, I am able to do that for an additional cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested.

You are at risk of having your visa cancelled under the exclusion provision of being an alcoholic which is considered a disease which is a danger to the public or yourself.

The government now reports arrests for alcohol to the USCIS who then reports it to the Dept of State who then sends out an email to you that your visa is cancelled. You are then required to undergo an examination by the US Embassy panel physician in your home country which I assume to be London.

Under the new Foreign Affairs Manual your stay in the US is not cancelled. You are allowed to remain in the US on your current lawful status.

It is the visa that is revoked and that you are not allowed to return on your E2 until the panel physician conducts their examination to determine if you have alcoholism and are inadmissible. This could take as long as a month depending on the appointment backlog with the panel physician.

If you do not want any interruption in your employment here in the US, I would strongly advise that you do not depart the US for the purpose of attending the wedding.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

You may want to read this link. It is not limited to a driving arrest but any arrest that involves being under the influence and does not require a finding of guilt.

https://www.globalimmigrationblog.com/2016/07/state-department-may-revoke-visa-for-dui-arrest-without-determination-of-guilt/

This is also another helpful link discussing revocation based on health related grounds of alcohol related offenses.

https://ogletree.com/shared-content/content/blog/2016/august/dui-arrest-could-now-lead-to-visa-revocation-for-employees-in-us-even-without-a-conviction