Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Is it possible for a US citizen to adopt an Ethiopian boy…

Is it possible for...

Is it possible for a US citizen to adopt an Ethiopian boy who is 21years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

He is coming to US in September on a I20 form. to attend Augsburg college, he has a visa for that

Lawyer's Assistant: Has he talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No, the school helped and he applied for it in Ethiopia

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The person adopting resides in Georgia, and it is the boys aunt. the mother is in full agreement

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

It depends on what you want the adoption to do. For one thing, I will not have good news, for the other, I will have good news. So what are you looking for the adoption to accomplish?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
to obtain US citizenship. or if that is not possible to remain in the US and work. To be able to travel to Ethiopia and not worry about obtaining a visa. It is very difficult for Ethiopian citizens to obtain visas.

That's what I was afraid of. Had you said for inheritance purposes and such, I would have had good news. But for immigration purposes, he is too old. To be able to pass any immigration benefit, even to stay and work, the adoption would have had to have been completed before he turned 16. There is only one exception and that's if a sibling adopted him, then it would have had to have been completed before he turned 18. At 21, he is even too old for that. I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you. If he is currently in F-1 student status, he should continue that process, graduate, get Optional Practical Training (OPT), then an H-1B professional status, then a green card through employment.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Hello. I see that you asked for a refund. Is there any particular reason why? Did I do something wrong? Please let me know. Thank you.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.