Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

My boyfriend is a us citizen born in new York and moved to…

My boyfriend is a...

My boyfriend is a us citizen born in new York and moved to spain when he was 8 years old with his mother and does not have his birth certificate anymore or know his social security number and has no documentation from the US for his citizenship, he needs to get his US passport to return to the US for good. Can you please help and how fast can we do this and what are the fees associated?

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Immigration Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Ok

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has your boyfriend taken? Has he filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

He was going to try but he doesn't have any way to do so without having his social security number or he would do it but every time he tries to do anything it is social security number required or a birth certificate which is what he is trying to get and then it again asks for his social security number and as I said he doesn't have anything from America anymore since he was moved as an 8 year old child

Lawyer's Assistant: Has your boyfriend talked to a lawyer about this?

He only spoke to an attorney in spain and he isn't getting anywhere at all, the attorney is not for america

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He only speaks Spanish and very little English which is why I am inquiring for him and to ask for him and help him with the process to get him back home where he very much wants to be

3/16/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Were his parents both U.S. Citizens born in the U.S. or they naturalized? How was he able to move to Spain and I assume get Spanish citizenship?

His father is a US citizen and his mother is a citizen of Spain but married to his father and moved back to Spain when they separated and took my boyfriend Christian with her because he was 8 years old. I can give you all of his information such as full name and his fathers name and mothers name if that would help to do any type of research at all?
I asked Christian if his father was born here or naturalized but he is really unsure, he just knows he is a US citizen and that Christian was born in the US
He is pretty sure his father was born in the US
his mother was not married to his father, sorry about that I misread his message

I can only answer questions, not do the actual process for you. Does his father have his own birth certificate? Where is his father? Where is his mother? His mother did not naturalize to U.S. Citizenship?

oh ok, no problem, he does not really speak to his father and yes his father was born in the US so he should have his birth certificate but he does not have Christians that he is aware of. Like I said he does not associate with his father. His father lives in New York. His mother lives in Spain. No she is not a citizen.

Well, he may have to reach out to his father to get a copy of his father's birth certificate and also his own birth certificate. Another option would be for him to contact Vital Statistics in New York and get a certified copy of his birth certificate. Here is a link:

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm

That also may not be enough for the U.S. government. If his Spanish IDs match the U.S. birth certificate, that certainly helps, but he may want to contact the hospital where he was born and get copies of the medical records in regards ***** ***** birth that should also have his parents' information on it. The more evidence that he can provide that his parents were in New York when he was born and that they are his parents, the easier it will be to get a U.S. Passport.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

his mom got custody of him and his younger brother and she left America with them and went back to Spain, he has an older brother that stayed in America, he does speak to him just not his father. Ok the problem is how can he get his birth certificate expedited without his social security number? that is a problem and then the social security card and number needs to have a birth certificate with the application but he doesn't have it. Pretty sure his ID and such have his full name on it both his mothers and fathers last name in Spain, his credit card or bank card also has his full name on it. I have tried to do this process for him with the birth certificate but it says he needs his last 4 of his social online and I don't know how to expedite it any other way. Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Does he have a Social Security number?

He should but he does not know it.
if he knew it I could have walked him through and expedited his birth certificate and all for him but I got stuck at the part when it asked for his last 4 of his social. I have researched so much and called the consulate and they were no help to us and then I signed up for your service here to try to get some serious help to get everything he needs and get him to the US as fast as possible.

Did he contact Social Security to see if he was issued one previously? I mean he needs to do that unless you are a licensed attorney and can do that.

They would tell him if one was issued previously?

Because he doesn't have a U.S. address or a birth certificate, it will be difficult, but he has to at least contact them and ask. If not, he may have to hire a private investigator in the U.S. to try to get him a certified copy of his birth certificate and/or social security number and then he can go from there. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

There is no other options other than a private investigator? Could he use my mailing address?

The problem is to get a replacement card, he not only has to have a U.S. address but also proof of U.S. Citizenship:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3755/How-do-I-apply-for-a-new-or-replacement-Social-Security-number-card

The way to go will be securing the birth certificate first. Forget about the social security number for now. Not all U.S. Citizens got a social security number exactly when they were born. So many birth certificates don't have a social security number on it. I don't understand why you are resistant to getting the birth certificate using the method that I provided. Do that to get the ball rolling.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

I am not opposed to it but not sure what that would cost and if there isn’t a way to do it ourselves was all. And to do the process as quickly as possible was another thing for us too.
Should he use his ID from Spain with his name as proof of his identification for the birth certificate?

Well, if you are looking for a quick, easy and cheap process, as you can imagine, for security reasons, that doesn't really exist. Have him start with trying to get the birth certificate from New York. Also, I'm sure he had to provide some documentation to the Spanish authorities to get his current status, so maybe they have a copy of his birth certificate in Spain. And yes, his Spanish ID and Spanish passport are still considered government IDs.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of customers don't leave a rating at all and since I am not given a salary to be here, a positive rating is the only way the website will compensate me (which costs you nothing additional and the session does NOT close). It's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, 30% to 40% of customers not leaving a positive rating is like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Ok thank you so much! I will start there and will more than likely reach back out to you about this with more questions as we continue to get the process started, will it be you I will be in contact with moving forward too?

If you post a reply to me, yes. But please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you.

Thank you for the positive rating. For this topic, come back and reply here. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Thank you very much! ��

My pleasure.