Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I was looking into immigration possibilities for my

I was looking into...

I was looking into immigration possibilities for my girlfriend to get a work Visa in the US.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No I just really started looking into it all a few days ago. I was referred to a local lawyer in my area though. I have a pending LLC being started up for my consulting firm, was curious if I could possibly use my LLC and hire her as an office admin while she worked on other employment

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that should do it thank you

3/16/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

This is going to be very difficult for you to do. What level of education does she have? Will you be able to prove that the company requires someone in the position that you are offering? Will you be able to prove that your company can and will pay her the same wage as anyone else in that position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sir, I appreciate the help.
She is currently a supervisor for a frac company, my company will be an LLC for myself as a directional drilling consultant. She does have a degree but its in kinesiology. As far as paying her as an office admin, Im sure I could do so without a problem. Im thinking with it being oil and gas related as is her primary work experience that it could possibly work?

Office admin would certainly not work. That would be an H-2B. For an H-2B worker visa, it is expensive and difficult to get because you, the employer would have to go through an expensive process called a Labor Certification where the position is advertised in the local media, you must receive all resumes and eliminate all candidates for valid reasons, not just because you have a job for her. This is to prove that she would not be taking a job away from a U.S. worker. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-2b-non-agricultural-workers/h-2b-temporary-non-agricultural-workers

So I doubt you would get by the Labor Certification part as there will probably be too many qualified U.S. workers available for an office admin job.

The information on the H-1B is basically that she must have a job offer, the job offer must be for a company that is offering a position that is related to her degree and experience. The position must also normally require a bachelors degree or higher. The company must have a need for someone in that position and must have the resources to be able to pay her what is normally paid to someone in that position. All these things must be provable with financials, business plan, etc. Also, because they are used up for this year, she will need to apply on April 1, 2018 to start working on October 1, 2018 or later. The exception is if she applies for a cap-exempt job and those are at an institution of higher education or its affiliated or related nonprofit entities or a nonprofit research organization, or a government research organization. Those are not subject to this numerical cap.

Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/h-1b-specialty-occupations-dod-cooperative-research-and-development-project-workers-and-fashion-models

So as you see, it probably will not work for a worker visa. If you are a U.S. Citizen, you may want to consider marrying her and getting her a green card like that. I know it may be too early for that, but unless she has a few hundred thousand dollars to invest, I don't see many viable options for her. I wish I had better news.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well thats exactly everything I was wanting to find out, thank you so much for your help sir.

You are very welcome, but PLEASE do not forget to rate me positively so that I can get credit for my assistance to you. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You may have to scroll up to the top of the page to see the stars/smiley faces. If you don't see them because perhaps you are using the mobile app, then try clicking on my name and they should come out. Since I am NOT given a salary, it is the only way the website will compensate me. You are NOT charged again and we can continue to communicate without additional charge if you have a few follow-up questions. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.

Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.