Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Thank you for your assistance, No I am a Mauritian holding a…

Hello, thank you for...

Hello, thank you for your assistance

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

No I am a Mauritian holding a valid B1H1 visa Basically I have a visitor visa so does my wife the visa is valid for the next 5 years I have visited California 4 years ago And now i would like to se what are the job opportunities that I can consider to get a permanent visa so that I can work a while in California, My wife shall accompany me

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well my questions are very basic questions

3/15/2018
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney

Hello, my name is***** & I will be the immigration attorney helping you today. I'm reviewing your question and will be with you in a few minutes.

Sure, what is your question?

Hi Jen
Thank you for your great service
I am willing to seek for job opportunities or any option that can get me a visa to work and live in California have a valid H1B1 visa for now
I would like to know what would be your best advice and options that you can advise me
I also want to know what are the procedures and eligibility for me to accept a job and then what are my chances to get a visa. I don't want to start looking for jobs and apply etc. when the visa eligibility itself will play against me. Is there a site that can show a list of jobs for which i can easily get a visa for and also for which i may qualify etc

I'm sorry, I am confused. You have an H1B1 working visa now? An H1B1 visa is to work. Or do you have a B1/ B2 tourist visa?

What exactly would you like advice and options on?

Hi Jen,
Let me clarify, I have a valid B2 - Visitor or tourist visa probably that's how it is called. I wish to check my eligibility on the different visa options such as EB2 and NIW to live and work in California. What will you require to have me assessed? My aim is to work and live in California with my wife accompanying me, Please advise on the my eligibility to apply for jobs that can help me to get a visa
Thanks
regards,
JR

I'm so sorry but Unfortunately that is more than we can do on this website for you since we would not be your attorney. We cannot asses you personally. We can only give you general information on visas or green cards.

Every visa requires a job offer FIRST unless. There is no general website with a list of jobs that are willing to apply for your visa. This is something you would have to research on your own by going to job interviews and asking if they are willing to sponsor you.

The EB2 and NIW are NOT visas. These are ways to get a green card and they require at least several months to over a year sometimes to get IF you qualify.

For a green card it depends on your educational background and experience but most commonly you will need at least a Bachelor's degree. If not you will need 3 years experience for each year of a Bachelor's so 12 years. Most importantly you would need a job offer from a company that is willing to petition for your green card.It is difficult because it is costly and lengthy. The company has to pay you (the person) the "prevailing wage" for your position and must show that it can afford your wage and has a need for your position and that you studied that field or has experience. That company has to go through a process called Labor Certification which begins with proving to the US Dept of Labor that you (the person) would not be taking a job away from a US citizen or resident in the US. For this, the less experience and education you have the more difficult and longer this will take to have a green card available and you cannot wait here inside the while you wait for a green card to be available. This is the Eb-2 and Eb-3. You cannot wait in the US while this is pending. It does not give you a benefit unless you are approved.

If you are a person of extraordinary ability, top 10% of your craft, you may qualify for extraordinary ability visa EB-1. For that you don't need an employer to sponsor you. You sponsor yourself but it is difficult to qualify.

Or if you will be working in something of national interest, you may qualify for the NIW green card.

Other ways of getting a green card besides family,

Investing in the US is another way to get your green card here. If you can invest at least $500,000 in a company in the US, there is a special green card program.

You would also have to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers through this investment. This is the EB-5

The next way is applying for asylum.

You must prove that if you returned to your home country, you will be persecuted there on account of your religion, race, nationality, religion, or membership in a particular social group.

You would have to show that you would be persecuted for the reasons I listed. It has to be something that is happening only to you or a small group and not to the general population. You would have to apply for this within 1 year of entering the US.

Another way is through the diversity visa ( which is a lottery). Here is more information on that. http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card/green-card-through-diversity-immigration-visa-program/green-card-through-diversity-immigrant-visa-program

Depending if you want a temporary visa instead to come for a temporary time there are other options. These will not get you a green card.

The most common work visa is the H1B visa. For this, you need a job offer for a specialized position in the area where you have your bachelor's degree. The problem is you cannot apply for this until April 2018 and you cannot begin work until October 2018 if you are approved. And you cannot wait in the US until October unless you have another visa. Also there is usually a lottery for this because visa numbers are limited and more people apply then there are visas. So even if you apply right on April 1, you may not even have her application reviewed.

This website will show you companies that have sponsored H1B visas in the past and possibly green cards https://www.immihelp.com/h1b-visa-sponsors/ They may be more willing to sponsor foreign workers than other companies. You cannot accept a job unless they are willing to apply for a visa for you. Once you have the visa, you can begin working.

Another work visa option is the L1. For this, you would have to have a job offer from a company here in the US for which you have worked for in their affiliate company in a foreign country at least 1 year in the last 3 years. You don't have to wait for 2018 to apply for this. The company must be sending you to the US as an executive or managerial position or for a job with specialized knowledge.

If you are a person of extraordinary ability 10% of your craft, you may consider the O1 visa. https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/o1_visas

There are also options such as the F-1 visa for students, which require admittance to a university in the US.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you.

Please kindly click "Finish by RATING" and choose a rating from the STARS ★★★★★. The question will NOT finish or close after you click and rate me. DON'T WORRY. It will stay OPEN after you rate me and I can continue to answer your follow up questions at no additional charge, if you have any.

The stars are very important. If you don't RATE , I receive zero credit for my time with you. Hopefully you can rate me 3 stars or more. 5 stars rating is the best!

Again, if you have additional follow up questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to clarify. Your satisfaction is my #1 goal.

Any bonus you feel I earned is always very appreciated. For any NEW questions you have in the future that you would like only me to answer, you can begin the new post with the words "FOR JEN."

Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney