Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I have an immigration related question. So basically I have…

Hello, I have an...

Hello, I have an immigration related question

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

So basically I have a lawful entry to the country through F1 visa, however I overstayed it for a year and a half,

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the F-1 visa?

Not yet, I got married right in the beginning of my overstay, but never filled out applications

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We didn't have enough funds and appropriate paperwork to fill out forms, but now we decided to get divorced,

3/15/2018
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So you are now out of status?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would say, yes, I have only marriage certificate

Ok, but what would you like to know? If you are going to divorce, you cannot use that marriage to get a green card unless you can prove abuse. Can you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm currently expecting a child from another man, he is a US citizen, however I'm afraid of complications in the divorce process with my current husband, he is willing to divorce as well,

Did you file any immigration paperwork with the current spouse? I hope you didn't because they are going to think you married the current spouse only for a green card.

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no we didn't

Ok. Great. So get divorced, then as soon as you can, marry the father of our child and file the proper paperwork for Adjustment of Status and prove that the relationship is real and not just to get an immigration benefit.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.