Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I just got married and would like to know what is the 1st…

Hi ! I just...

Hi ! I just got married and would like to know what is the 1st step in filing for adjustment of status ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet just wondering where to start

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it :-) thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What is your current status? Are you currently living in the United States? Is your spouse a US citizen? (It sounds like they are, but I don't want to assume).

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi !
Yes i am currently living in the Us and my husband is a Us citizen. I need to adjust my status as my visa has expired

Thank you. I'm not confident in how the expired visa might complicate matters, so I'm going to opt out and let you talk to another expert. Someone should be with you shortly. Good luck with everything.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if the news is not good that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

What was the visa that you used to enter the U.S.? When did you last enter the U.S.?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
E-2 visa. My last entrance was in January 2016.

Ok, you will need to file an adjustment package. This includes the following forms: I-130 (Petition for family member), I-130A, I-485 (application for Lawful Permanent Residency), I-765 (Application for work permit), I-131 (Application for Advance Parole), I-693 (Medical exam that a certified doctor must fill out), and I-864 (Affidavit of support). You will need to file each form with supporting evidence and appropriate filing fees. You can find these forms at www.uscis.gov/forms.

The supporting evidence that you would file would be birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce certificates if either of you have been married previously, proof of your spouse's U.S. Citizenship, proof of your legal entry into the U.S., and financial documents of your spouse to prove their income over the last year at least.

In about 3 to 5 months after filing, the work permit and Advance Parole (travel permit) should be issued. About 5 to 7 months after filing the interview should be scheduled (though now it is taking longer, so maybe closer to 7 to 9 months). If all goes well, a few weeks later the U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency card (green card) should come in the mail.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years and there is important information I can only give you in private. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much I will review everything and definitely contact you for additional infos