Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

How does it take for I-130 t be approved? and it's

How long does it...

How long does it take for I-130 t be approved? and it's irrespective of PD being current?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

Yup I-130 has been filed and PD is current.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the green card?

Yes we have she is processing it but she's not giving us the whoel picture

3/15/2018
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a few minutes to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

It depends on whether the I-130 is for an immediate family member or in one the family preferences. For immediate family members, the process can take between 5 months and a year. Most Form I-130 petitions for Immediate Relatives are approved between five and nine months, but it could take up to a year. You can find the definition of an immediate relative here: https://citizenpath.com/immediate-relative-categories/

If the I-130 has been filed under one of the family preferences, it takes at least six months to get approval. Don’t forget — you can check your case status online with your receipt number.

To understand the timing of the whole process, go here: https://citizenpath.com/what-happens-after-filing-form-i-130-petition/

I hope this helps. Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Thanks Edward, my husband is on a Green Card though. How longer is the same process for that? My priority date is current but we have not received an approval for the I-130 yet.

A lawful permanent resident that has petitioned a spouse or unmarried child is given a high priority in the F1 category. They try to process I-130’s in this category as fast as possible. However, if the USCIS office is backlogged, which is often the case, they may set aside Family Preference petitions. This may take several months or even years. But this will not impact your wait time because they are prioritized based on the date filed (not the date processed).

Again, you can check the status of your petition here: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

Please go ahead and rate me. I get no credit for my work for you unless you do.

If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee.

Edward Young

Thank you so much for the 4-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-visaspecialist/ Or, simply request “Edward only” in the first line of your question.