Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Guillermo, My husband petitioned for his mother and she

Hi Guillermo, My husband petitioned for...
Hi Guillermo,
My husband petitioned for his mother and she successfully received her LPR card. She left abroad for a couple of years and couldn't return to the States due to health reasons. She tried to return with her LPR last year, but it was taken away by agents stating she lost her residence because she was abroad too long. They told her to start the process all over again. She is here with a visa, so he is going to petition for her again. Do you think she will have any issues (because she was a LPR once and lost her status)? Thanks!
3/15/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

No. They don't get "mad" because someone had it before and then abandoned it. As long as she did not lie to get a tourist visa and as long as she has been in the U.S. longer than 90 days, her son can petition for her all over again to get a new green card.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Awesome. I know it sounds silly but I wasn't sure it would be an issue. As always, thank you!!

My pleasure!