Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

For the HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of support, is…

For the HHS Poverty...

For the HHS Poverty Guidelines for Affidavit of support, is the household size dependents of the sponsor? Or literally the number of people in the house?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the U.S. government?

We're currently putting things together to file for the K1 visa.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about the K-1 visa?

Not yet, we're filing on our own.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, thank you!

3/14/2018
Guillermo Senmartin, Immigration Attorney

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 15 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Also, please do NOT click on the Opt Out button because if you do, it would prevent me from communicating with you and then it could take a long time before another expert responds to you.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

It goes by the Sponsor including the Beneficiary, any minor children of the Sponsor and any person or persons that the Sponsor includes as dependents on their income taxes. If you want to give me specifics, I can comment for you. If not, that's basically what it is about.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

just to be clear, if my fiance' goes to live with his parents to save up, they do not count as household members because they're not dependents, right? They do not show up in his income taxes, only he does.

That is correct. Thank you for the positive rating. If you would like to request me in the future for a different topic, please remember to put FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box. Good luck to you!