Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

Judith, I have a cousin who is a LPR. He now wants to become…

Hi Judith, I have a cousin...
Hi Judith,
I have a cousin who is a LPR. He now wants to become a US Citizen, however he forgot or did not realize that he needed to sign up for the Select a Service. He is now 33. Can he still qualify for Citizenship??? Any suggestions? Thanks.
3/14/2018
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

How old was he when he came to the US and required to register?

Judith

He came to the country when he was 3 months old, became a LPR at age 14................Thanks.

Well back then USCIS did not do a very good job notifying adjustment of status applicants of their obligations to register for the selective service.

He needs to go to this link and get his Status Information Letter ( this takes about 3 months) and then write an affidavit that he was never told by USCIS when he adjusted status as a minor of his obligation to register and that he loves his country and would have gladly registered and served if he had been told of this obligation. He then should ask for forgiveness for failure to do so because he was never informed of his need to do so.

That is the best he can do. In the past USCIS was usually willing to grant a waiver for the unintentional failure to register. He just needs to make it clear he would have done so out of his love for his country if he knew he needed to do this.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. I appreciate this opportunity to help you. I do not receive a salary here at JustAnswer, and am only compensated for my time after receiving a rating. If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page. The question thread remains open and you can ask follow-up questions.

Judith

I don't see the link :)

My apologies

https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER

If you are very satisfied with my answer please take a moment to click on the 5 stars at the top of the page.

Judith

Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Thank you!